Wednesday, February 10, 2010

I have a serious problem with A Serious Man

A Serious Man was the latest stop on my march to see all the movies nominated for a Best Picture Oscar...all ten of them.  If the rest of the movies are like this one, it's going to be a long and arduous journey that I'm not sure I'm interested in anymore.  To put it in the only words I know possible...I hated it and I'm mad as hell at it.  I'm mad that it's nominated for Best Picture, I'm mad that it's gotten critical acclaim, and I'm mad that not one of those critics has yet to brand it as a Woody Allen wannabe without half the charm and wit.  

A sort of Hebraic My Big Fat Greek Wedding, this movie would've been more aptly titled My Big Sad Jewish Life.  Produced, written and directed by the Coen brothers, A Serious Man is supposedly loosely based on the brothers' childhoods growing up in a largely Jewish suburb in the Midwest.  What made them feel that would make for an interesting movie, I'm still trying to figure out.  Set in the mid 1960s, the movie features a middle age man whose life is crumbling around him and chronicles his search for answers in Judaism.  The serious problem - the movie is neither funny enough to be a comedy or poignant enough to be introspective.

The funniest part of this movie was the moment I realized my thoughts began sounding like Woody Allen whining in my head.  "Is this a comedy or a tragedy?  I'm so confused.  I don't know whether I'm supposed to laugh for cry.  Is my psoriasis flaring up again?" said my thoughts as they sat cross legged on the couch and fiddled with their glasses. 

Admittedly, I imagine if I were Jewish I would likely find this movie a lot funnier and endearing.  I'm sure many of the characters would be more relatable and amusing and I'm confident a great deal of cultural references went right over my head.  And who doesn't love to see their own culture displayed on the big screen...even I take a sad bit of Greek pride in My Life In Ruins.  Granted I'll never see it, but it's nice to know it's there.

This dark "comedy" is just plain sad and depressing.  The last Jewish movie I saw this depressing was Schindler's List, but at least in that case I knew what I was getting myself into from the start.  And the worst part was, I didn't find any character to be likable!  I mean I felt bad for the guy, how could you not, his life is falling apart in some of the most bizarre ways imaginable.  But I honestly didn't care about him enough to give it much thought myself.  And outside of him, I actually disliked pretty much everyone else.  And as irritatingly odd as it started, it ended...just like that...leaving my mouth gaping wide open in disbelief.

 I respect the Coen brothers, really I do.  Fargo, The Big Lebowski - genius.  But while this is being billed as their greatest movie ever, I'm left scratching my head and wondering why.  And don't try to tell me I don't get it...it's a modern day telling of the Biblical book of Job, I got it.  Because I enjoyed the book so much I needed to see it on the big screen?  Sorry, I don't need a movie to tell me how bad life can be and how meaningless it can feel - I too survived 2009.  If this is what's being considered good film making these days, than there's hope for my movie career after all.

I do, however, have to give kudos to the art department for some serious attention to detail in creating a 1960s era original, as well as to the cast's lead actor for pulling off a very believable role, even if I didn't love the character.  As for the laughs...eh; the writing...eh; the direction...eh; my overall movie going experience...eh.  In summation...EH.  I'm sorry you "real" critics out there, but I disagree with you wholeheartedly.

Clearly this movie benefited from the Oscars opening up the Best Picture category to 10 movies this year, and yet another reason why I feel betrayed by the Holy Grail of awards.  Now I know how what those poor South Park kids felt like after they saw Indiana Jones raped by Steven Spielberg and George Lucas.  I don't know what you're up to Mr. Oscar, but I'm not liking it one bit.   You need to take a good hard look at yourself in the mirror and reevaluate.  Maybe I'm just a goyum, but this mashugana movie just drove me fakakta and therefore I'm giving A Serious Man a serious WAIT FOR VHS...seriously.

1 comment:

Sara said...

Have to say Im lovin the blog....anymore Netflix recommendations?