Sunday, February 21, 2010

Andrew Shepherd for Prez 2012!!

I'm sorry TMMC readers, I've neglected you.  Last week I was traveling for a big work event and as much as I tried, I wasn't able to do TMMC justice.  First I missed a movie review Thursday, then a Weekly Round Up Friday...I'm a hot mess.  Please forgive my neglect and do not give up on yours truly.  Soon enough we'll put this "work" hiccup behind us and move on with our lives.  I love you baby, Ike'll never hurt you again.  

The good news is the event was a huge success with an enormously pleased client, which means I fight off George Clooney and the unemployment line for yet another day.  Man, ever since Up in the Air, seeing Clooney is about as horrific as seeing the Grim Reaper headed down the street in your direction.

While many of you punished me for neglecting you, some of you loyal few still came out and voted in last week's poll.  When asked the question, "in honor of President's Day, what's your favorite presidential movie?" 50% of you responded...

An American President

While about as accurate a portrayal of the White House as GI Joe is of the U.S. Army, An American President proves a unique romantic comedy that has a decent plot is always a crowd pleaser.  Looks like it's a good thing Obama doesn't have to fear a challenge from Andrew Shepherd in 2012.  I have to admit, the movie is a TMMC dirty secret and I happily catch it any time it pops up randomly on the USA network.  Ironically enough, the movie's writer was Washington obsessed, West Wing creator Alan Sorkin, back when the West Wing was just a glimmer in his eye.  Perhaps that's why this movie appeals to many different types of movie goers, including people like myself that aren't romantic comedy fans.  It's just political enough to keep me interested, but just romantic enough to make every lady wish she too could dance at a state dinner.  Don't worry ladies, if we've learned anything this year it's you definitely don't have to be the President's guest to dance at one of his parties.

A distant 2nd runner up was JFK with 25% of the votes and Dave and First Daughter both received 12% of the vote.  I have a bone to pick with you TMMC readers.  How dare you put Dave in the category of First Daughter!  You put a pre-brainwashed Katie Holmes on par with Kevin Kline and Sigourney Weaver!?  For shame - Dave is a classic!  It's political, it's funny and it has a balanced budget, come on.  Obviously you can tell which movie I would've voted for...and I've never been much of a good loser. 

Understandably, W. was the only movie that received no votes - and deservedly so.  Too soon, too soon.  I mean they could've a least waited until the guy got out of office before they decided to do a factually inaccurate Democratic ad campaign disguised as a biopic.

Well as always, thanks to those who voted in last week's poll.  Hope you enjoy this week's as we prepare to honor the best and worst of 2009 - just two weeks away.  Make sure to stop by on Wed. for the announcement of the TMMC Oscar Sweepstakes!  I'll finally get up the review for This Is It tomorrow - better late than never - and to make up for last week maybe I'll even get a bonus review up there too.  It's all for you.

No comments: