Monday, January 25, 2010

A Single Man Stays Single


I anticipate ruffling some feathers, particularly Ebert's, with my review of A Single Man, being hailed by many critics and audiences in the gay community.  Unfortunately it didn't resonate with this movie viewer, at all, and I doubt that it will catch mainstream wildfire.  In his debut film, co-writer and directer, as well as former Gucci designer, Tom Ford brings to life the 1964 novel of the same name.  We meet the movie's main character (Colin Firth) eight months after the death of his partner in a car accident.  Taking place over a 24 hour time period set in the 60's, the movie follows Firth through his day as he copes with his partner's death and decides whether or not to take his own life.  Throughout various parts of the movie, depending on how bored I was, I was rooting both for and against it.

Readers beware, the melodrama movie genre has never been a favorite of mine, significantly putting A Single Man at a disadvantage right from the start.  I have a hard time watching a person wallow in self pity for two hours - I swear I'm not heartless!  But come on, don't you ever just want to reach through the screen, slap the character and shout "SNAP OUT OF IT" - you know, Moonstruck style.  It wasn't the subject matter per say that didn't resonate with me, it was just how it played out on screen.  In a movie with very little action driving the plot to begin with, A Single Man just really drags on at times. 

Not every melodrama has to suffer from this syndrome, it just takes a bit more effort in the directing department.  Look at The Hours, directed by Stephen Daldry.  You don't get any more melodramatic than three characters moping about for hours, no pun intended, but it worked because all the pieces fit well together.  I think Ford's directing debut shows through in this department.   He brings a very stylized point of view to the screen, but ends up creating a movie that to me felt like a cross between a perfume commercial and a 60's French film.

Close up of an eye...a little girl jumping rope...a dew drop on a red rose...shirtless men filmed in black and white...Fin.  I thought I was quite possibly watching a 2 hour fashion house commercial! Ok, I get it, they were all metaphors, but honestly, do I really care to analyze a yellow pencil sharpener vs. a blue or red pencil sharpener?  Oh yeah, it goes that off the deep end at times.  Sometimes metaphors ARE a bridge too far.

Colin Firth and Julianne Moore are both receiving critical acclaim for their acting, but part of me wonders why.  While I'm a fan of both, Julianne Moore is only in the movie for a total of 15 minutes playing the boozy best friend of our main brooder, during which the two argue over whose life is worse.  Mine is - I have to watch you two whine.  Colin Firth does the part justice, but my only problem is he doesn't crack whatsoever, he's just a stiff cardboard of a person bottling up emotions.  The hard part is connecting with him because he's so emotionally detached.  I would've loved to have seen him cry or lash out or something, anything!  I know you're British, but let go of that stiff upper lip chap.

All in all, the movie just felt like one slow, long, high school English class poem and let's be honest, poetry was never my strong suit.  Unless you're Dr. Seuss, I just can't get into it...oh how I do still love that Cat in the Hat, what a crazy guy.  And if I did have to read the original book in English class, I most certainly would've spent more time trying to find the CliffsNotes than reading beyond page 5.

All in all, way too slow, way too art housey and just plain too much.  I know for sure there is a place for this movie amongst audiences, I'm just unfortunately not one of them.  Tom Ford, I applaud your effort and your aesthetic may appeal to many, but as I wear my Old Navy sweats I'm obviously not the right Gucci demographic.

Take Match.com's advice - it's ok to look, but I think you'll agree A Single Man will likely remain single.  PUT IT IN YOUR NETFLIX QUEUE!

2 comments:

Miller Brothers said...

Question...did you like cat and the hat the movie? just wondering if you thought it was a total destruction of the book?

TMMC said...

Thanks for your question J.D. While I am a fan of Mike Myers, I do think the movie bastardized a literary piece of art. That said, I still thoroughly enjoyed it for what it was. Might I recommend Horton Hears a Who - I think you might also enjoy that movie as well.