Monday, April 19, 2010

Holding Out for a Hero

Whether you know it yet or not, the superheros are coming.  This weekend's opening of Kick Ass is just the first in a loooong line of superhero movies making their way to theaters in the coming months, and even years.  So I asked readers the question, will the influx of superhero movies over saturate the market and burn out audiences?  And here's what you said....50% agreed.... 

NO, I NEED A HERO! 

Look at all you damsels in distress.  I'm going to grossly over generalize that every one of you readers are males ages 18-45 and played with action figures when you were kids - and  hated it when your mother called them dolls.  Not too far behind, 33% of you responded "who needs a caped crusader?" and 16% responded you'd just rather watch a romantic comedy.  So basically, TMMC readers are split down the middle on how they feel about superhero movies, and that's pretty much what I expected. 

Personally, and I've said this before, there is such a thing as too much of a good thing.  Except for sex, of course.  I like a good superhero movie, but the problem is they're a dime a dozen.  For every five really bad superhero movies, you stumble across one that actually has decent writing and acting and breaks out as a mainstream success.  With so many superhero movies coming out, I think it will overwhelm and turn off audiences, making it harder for the really good movies to stand out from the pack.  Just my hypothesis.

Last week's poll response was a little underwhelming, which made me think that the superhero genre might just not be your thing.  So that forced the question, what movie genre does TMMC readers fancy the most?  Don't be a high maintenance partner and start pouting and testing me.  Instead of making me guess what you don't like, why don't you just tell me what you do enjoy watching?  And if you're one of those people that say, "well you should know," I'm sorry, this just isn't going to work out.  It's not you baby...it's me.  So out of curiosity, what types of movies to you like most?  

Stay tuned for a review of the documentary Stolen, a real life Thomas Crown Affair.  Watch the trailer.

No comments: